Super 80/DC-9 Web Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General User Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some suggestions for a DC-9 update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac_Ott. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some suggestions for a DC-9 update
    Posted: December-13-2015 at 9:44pm
Hey,
I've just been thinking lately, while I'm waiting to get my DC-9 up and functional again (Getting help now from Flight1), I thought of some suggestions for a DC-9 update.

1. Ability to adjust gauge FPS

Ok, so this is probably the biggest. While I can fly the PMDG 737 into Flightbeam KSFO HD, I'm unable to do so in the DC-9 due to FPS issues. I was also unable to in the 737, until I found I could edit the FPS of the gauges, which DRAMATICALLY increased performance. I would love if we had this ability in the DC-9, it would allow us to fly it into huge FPS heavy airports without massive FPS drops. 

2. Disable circuit breakers

Along the lines of No. 1, the ability to disable the circuit breakers would probably free up a bit of FPS. I'm no developer, but I remember reading somewhere that having a ton of extra click spots can impact FPS a little bit. In the year and a half I've had the DC-9, I've never touched the breakers and don't intend to because I don't simulate emergencies. For those of us who don't simulate emergency procedures, we'd love the ability to disable systems we never use and free up some extra FPS.

3. While my other two suggestions have been focused on customizing the aircraft to suit performance needs, my third is to have the option for a GPS mounted on one of the windows. I forget where I saw it, but I remember watching a video of an Aero Mexico DC-9 (or another Central/South American airline) with an old Garmin GPSMAP 295 mounted on one of the cockpit windows. This would just be kinda neat for those who want to have a GPS open during the flight without using a 2D popup one. 

4. P3D V3 integration

So that visual bug I'd had in my other thread was in fact attributed to the setting OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1 in my P3D cfg. Regarding this setting, Lockheed Martin says (Taken from AirDailyX,

"Lockheed Martin responds: This attempts to optimize multiple parts of a model by combining them into fewer meshes if possible. If you have a complex model that is not already optimized to reduce draw calls etc, this will attempt to do that for you. There is some overhead to this, as it happens at runtime when the model is being loaded and ideally the model would already be optimized before runtime. This only happens for FSX Models, and not older model types. That is what I gathered from a quick look over, hopefully that helps".

While disabling this setting gets rid of the issue, it murders performance. This setting is enabled by default, and combined with a few other tweaks, it vastly increases performance to levels FSX could only dream of. While the DC-9 still doesn't perform great at a select few airports like KSFO HD, I can run it with far greater visual effects and smoothness than in FSX. It's really amazing. Sadly, I get this visual bug however. I don't know why OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1 causes it, but having a hotfix to address it would be really cool of you guys. I don't want to start a debate about the EULA, but even though P3D is intended for Academic and Professional use only, consider the fact that a majority of P3D's user base are flight simmers like you and I who migrated to it to reap the huge performance and visual gains. Many developers such as Captain Sim have created P3D installers with no problem for most of their aircraft. In fact, Lockheed Martin featured a user-made P3D V3 preview video that used Captain Sim's l1011 and 727. If P3D is for commercial use, and Lockheed Martin is featuring a user made video featuring two aircraft that don't even fly anymore except once in a blue moon and have no problem featuring said video, it doesn't seem to me like a P3D V3 compatible DC-9 would be an issue. Again, I'm not a developer, so I obviously have the point of view of a customer rather than that of the one who actually creates the addon, so what I said above could have some implications I'm not aware of.

Now, I have one more idea, this one rather large. While I definitely wouldn't expect this in an update, it'd be a lovely addition to the DC-9. 

A couple of weeks ago, I bought FS2Crew for the PMDG NGX. Ever since then, flying just isn't the same. FS2Crew offers a whole new dimension of realism that just makes flying an airliner without it difficult. I know we have Multicrew, but I don't really like Multicrew that much for the following reason,

It sounds like you're talking to a computer. The voices are so robotic that it just takes away from the immersion. FS2Crew uses actual voice recordings, and they all just work. They give you the feeling that you're talking to a real person, and not your computer. Having the real voice of a first officer that you can talk to, that sounds like a real human being, is just so incredible. In addition, the cabin announcements really add to the experience to make you feel like a real captain. Multicrew just seems so stale to me, it's just like you're talking to a robot and not a real person.

Now, I understand right away that Multicrew has one real distinct advantage, that it can be adapted to any aircraft, by a user. It can be customized to be more lenient and accept more phrases than FS2Crew can, however, this added customization is just ruined by the fact that once again, it doesn't feel like you're talking to a real human. What I wish Multicrew could do is add the ability for users to create their own real voice lines, but we can only dream.

FS2Crew would add a whole new layer of depth to the already complex DC-9. It would seriously take a whole load of work off of the Captain's chest, while still adding a ton of realism. Running the landing checklist by yourself while tracking multiple VORs and adjusting frequencies is just a ton of work, and to be realistic, almost too much. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, but it really takes the immersion out of it. 

I hope you can consider some of my ideas, and maybe one day we'll see FS2Crew for the DC-9. Who knows?
Thanks a ton,
-Mac
Espen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Espen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 8:35am
Hi Mac,

I like your suggestions. I'll have to do some research into whether or not these performance options will actually give in increase in FPS.

Outrage_Mac View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrage_Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 4:17pm
Thanks a ton Espen! I'm interested to see what you figure out, if it does give an increase this would be good news for all of us!

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrage_Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 4:54pm
Espen, BTW, I got my DC-9 working again!
Espen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Espen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2015 at 7:29am
Great! How did you get it working again?
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrage_Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2015 at 10:04am
Got the McPhat HD cockpit textures(4096) and set my texture_max_load to 4096x4096!

Perhaps something is messed up with the cockpit textures rather than the plane itself?
teohalfen View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teohalfen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2017 at 1:39pm
Just bought the DC-9 some weeks ago and I'm having lots of fun discovering how this jet works. Lots of history! I'm using it on Prepar3d.
My sugestion is to update the VC geometry and art and launch the DC-9 for Prepar3d, maybe with some discount for the FSX version owners Smile
About the VC geometry and art update, I note considerable diferences from a real DC-9 cockpit, as shown in the following picture:

Also, the weather radar could be from Active Sky (Active Sky Next or Active Sky 2016), because the present weather radar takes a lot of FPS... 

Thanks!

Teo Halfen
Espen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Espen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2017 at 1:34pm
Hi Teo,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I would like to do a P3D version, but for now other projects are taking priority.

BRISAFRESCA View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRISAFRESCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2017 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Espen Espen wrote:

Hi Teo,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I would like to do a P3D version, but for now other projects are taking priority.

Are those projects for example a study level DC8-50 or a Super80 upgrade? Smile

Regards

Brisafresca
Espen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Espen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2017 at 7:59am
Good suggestions, but no. Smile
teohalfen View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teohalfen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 3:46pm
Are ther any plans for the P3D V4?
There is an airplane for X-Plane called RotateSim which has the right cockpit geometry in my opinion: https://scontent.fpoa4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18766572_1337533659696160_6440282886402185202_o.jpg?oh=ad1a0928fb076a912ea781b47051a7a6&oe=59AF2A45
I'm still learning about your DC-9 and having great fun to learn about old jets! Thanks!
Espen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Espen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 5:25am
No firm plans for P3D yet, but it is something I would like to get started on.
jscarano View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscarano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Espen Espen wrote:

No firm plans for P3D yet, but it is something I would like to get started on.

Omg a p3d v4 compatible md80 would be amazing!!! Big smileBig smileSmileSmile
teohalfen View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teohalfen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2017 at 2:11pm
I'm waiting for the DC-9 for P3D V4... You know, good quality analogical jets for P3D are very rare... Maybe the Coolsky DC9 is the only one. I never imagined learning about the DC9, as in Brazil (where I live) I never saw a DC-9, although it was a very popular aircraft in other parts of the world. But Coolsky DC9 is such a complete simulation that it's very nice to learn about 70's aircraft systems studying the DC9. Also, such old jets are more challenging to fly, as there are no computers to aid you. You have to really master IFR and the aircraft systems to fly safely one of these...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic